Finally started to read The way by Swann’s. The first page is, what should I say, absolutely marvelous.

Favorite line-:

“I could hear the whistling of trains, which, now nearer and now farther off, punctuating the distance like the note of a bird in a forest, plotting the  distances, described to me the extent of the deserted countryside where the   traveler hastens  towards the nearest station: and the little road he is following   will be engraved on his memory by the excitement he owes to new places,to unaccustomed, activities,to the recent conversation and the farewells under the   unfamiliar lamp that follow him  still through the silence of the night, to the imminent sweetness of his return.”

7 thoughts on “Reading Proust : Day 1

1. Jane says:

I have Proust on my Classics Challenge list so I’ll be very interested in your progress, looks like a good start!

Liked by 1 person

1. rakeshreader says:

Thank you so much. Sure and all the very best to you as well 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. awesome! good luck. I read all of In Search of Lost Time a few years ago, it was an amazing experience. I started with a goodreads group that was reading all Proust on the occasion of the anniversary of the publications of volume 1, but then I slowed down and took another year to finish. My favorite volumes are the very first and last one! If I were younger and had another life, I would now reread it all, to better see all the connections between the volumes. The toughest for me was the 3rd, because of all the social elements, and interminable meals… By the way, even though I blog in English, I’m French, so I obviously read it in French.
    What’s neat with Proust’s style, is that you may be close to bored to death for 30 pages or more, but if you persevere, suddenly at the turn of a page, you stumble on an incredible gem, that made it all worth it.

Liked by 1 person

1. rakeshreader says:

Thank you so much for the comment.
      I am on book 1 now and I think Proust is a magician. His prose is mesmerizing. I am really going slow as I want to read each and every word …making it an intense experience..
      I am so pleased to meet you here and thank you so much.:)

3. rakeshreader says:

Exactly!!!
    I’m on page 39 now of The way by Swann’s. As you said we have to be in the right mood… But though it’s so slow and demanding it’s really worth it…
    Thank you so much for the comment and the visit 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Bellezza says:

Thank YOU for visiting me!😊

Liked by 1 person

4. Bellezza says:

I’ve only read the first 3 (of 7) volumes of Remembrance of Things Past. I liked it, but I have to be in a slow mood to truly enjoy. The remarkable thing, though, is his eye for detail. Nothing is too small for him to write about, and that fascinates me.

Liked by 1 person